Thursday, November 13, 2014

Understanding korean music - "the white butterfly" by Kim Jung Ho

 First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I was born in suncheon ,south korea.
Despite I am very poor at speaking english, but I like to communicate with other people using english.
 Recently, most people around the world are familiar with korean culture.  More and more people begin to feel interest in korean music and film and others as time goes on.  but I think their interests are somewhat superficial since those are primarily focused on appearance of phenomena.
 I am not chauvinist at all, but I want to introduce korean spirit with a deeper introspection.

 At the very first beginning, I'd like to explain korean mind using korean music.   Most people like to listen K-pop.  but I think the major k-pop cannot express the genuine feeling of korea because they are also influenced by American culture.  So it's very difficult for most people to figure out the unique spirit of korea.

 I am going to write blog as regularly as I could.

The first music I want to introduce is very beautiful song.   The theme is "white butterfly". and the singer is "Kim Jung Ho" .
He was born at 1952 and died at 1985 because of tuberculosis.



His song recently was remade as a movie OST. so I recommend you to listen both original version and New version.
                             
 New version - click to listen

                               
Old version - click to listen
                             
The words of a song "white butterfly"

"uhm - Do not think the past.
 uhm - Do not long for, one who may depart.
 Because the petals wither away,  Do not be sad.
 When it comes time, it will bloom again. so Do not be sad.

uhm~ uhm~ uhm~

uhm~ where did he go, the lost traveler.
uhm~ where did he have to go. the white butterfly looking for.
Because the petals wither away,  Do not be sad.
When it comes time, it will bloom again. so Do not be sad.
uhm~ uhm~ uhm"

2 comments:

  1. Amazing song......just heard it today. I live in ilsan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised in Canada and my uncle who was visiting from Korea accidentally left a cd he made of a mix of Korean songs on it. I, by chance listened to it and Kim Jung-ho's "Little Bird" stood out to me so much that I would listen to it on repeat for months and on occasion still do. I become so hooked on that song. At the time, Youtube was in it's early stages yet and trying to find info about Kim Jung-Ho on the internet in English was pretty impossible but I managed in a few years to find bits and pieces of his music online...even some live performances which was so cool. Kim Jung-Ho was such a unique singer and his songs are pure poetry. I love everything about his voice and his songs. To me it melds what I know about that spirit and poetry of Korean Han you hear in Pansori and Western Soul/blues. And aside from the instrumental arrangements the songs sound modern to me. I love how straight-forward yet deep his lyrics are and his phrasing just kills me. It is a shame he died so early and didn't get to write more music. I like your blog. I like learning about Korea through music. Such a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete